Leaves of absence:
Can I take paid leave to attend my convocation?
No, but you can use a discretionary day.
How do I choose between discretionary days which are unpaid and the cost of TTOC?
Each teacher gets 3 unpaid discretionary days per-year. You are also entitled to 3 discretionary days at the average cost of a TTOC. You can take unpaid days must be approved by your administrator. Unreasonable requests will not be denied. Discretionary days at the cost of a TTOC do not require approval. Unreasonable requests will not be denied.
Special note: The cost of a TTOC may or may not be more than your daily rate. Please take this into consideration when choosing which code to use.
What code of absence should I use?
- If you are attending to work for the STA, it is most likely that you should use the absence code “STA to Pay” and then email the STA office admin staff (sta_office@Saanichschools.ca) to let them know what work you are completing so they can charge your absence to the correct budget line.
- If you are attending a meeting or workshop through the school district, you most often will use the code “TTOC Recovery”. Best to double check with the organizer of your event.
- If you are sick and are taking a paid sick day, use the code “sick day with pay”.
- If you have an appointment and are using one of the days from your sick bank to attend that appointment, choose “medical appointment”.
- If you’re ever unsure, feel free to ask!