Teachers reaching retirement are encouraged to explore the links and resources listed below.
STA Retirement Handbook
Link Coming Soon
The BCTF Pensions and Retirements webpage
This page includes up to date BCTF contact information should you have any questions regarding your retirement or pension.
The BC Retired Teachers’ Association (BCRTA)
The BCRTA is offering the Making Sense of Pensions & Benefits webinar for teachers across the province to help them plan for a successful transition to retirement. Click here for dates and registration.
The BC Teachers’ Pension Plan
The Teachers’ Pension Plan website is a wealth of information including estimates about your pension, learning materials, and information on how your pension is managed.
- Give notice to the Saanich School District in September or January to announce your January or June retirement, respectfully.
- Contact Saanich School District HR to find out when your current health benefits end to ensure you have continuous coverage until the benefits associated with the Teachers’ Pension Plan begin.
- Consider converting your current group life insurance to an individual life insurance policy.
- Join the BC Retired Teachers’ Association. Contact the BCRTA re: starting/continuing Medoc travel health insurance.
- Contact the Teacher Regulation Branch of the Ministry of Education to see your options regarding maintaining your BC Teacher’s certificate if you intend to teach after retirement.
- At age 60, if you are not working, consider applying for your Canada Pension Plan pension. For an application kit, visit the CPP website.
- At age 65, apply for Old Age Security (OAS). For an application kit, visit the OAS website.