The Saanich Teachers’ Association works diligently to provide its members with rich and thorough opportunities to professionally develop their skills and abilities as educators. We do this by:
- Receiving professional development (pro-d) funds from the employer and ensuring that pro-d opportunities and funds are made available to all members.
- Supporting school-based Professional Development Reps.
- Collaborating with neighboring locals to host events such as the Tapestry conference each year.
- Being a liaison between the BCTF and the local to ensure teachers are aware of provincial opportunities, such as the Teacher Inquiry Program.
- Partnering with the District Senior Management team to collaborate on various programs and events via the Joint PD Committee.
- Initiating and maintaining programs that are congruent with the BCTF Professional Development Lens
Professional Development Information:
- Pro-D Handbook 2023-2024
- BCTF Pro-D Information & Opportunities
- Pro-D Policy (generic)
- Pro-D Umbrella (pdf)
- Pro-D Spreadsheet for schools
- Professional Book List
Which absence code should I use?
- If you are using a TTOC to cover an absence so that you can attend a PD event, and if that is being paid for by your STA Pro-D school fund, please use the ADS code: “Pro-D Teach – Submit to STA”. Your school Pro-D rep will need to authorize this coverage. Please be sure to complete a Pro-D Reimbursement form and submit to your Pro-D rep for authorization ASAP. Your rep will forward it to the STA office. If the STA office does not receive an authorized form by the end of the week, your absence may not be covered.
- If you are working with a group of people or attending a meeting with a group of people, please ask the leader of that event to supply you with a code. Sometimes when we are participating in a “cost-sharing” venture with the school district, the code is different.
How are the NID Days structured in Saanich?
Friday Sept 22: Ministry Priorities: The topic of the day is established by the Ministry of Education and the event is planned by the district. All teachers must attend the SD63 event. This is not a union-organized event.
Friday October 20: Provincial Day: Teachers have professional autonomy to select a PD event. It is the BCTF PSA Day. This only happens once a year. Check it out.
Monday Nov. 20: School Based Day: Schools are more actively involved in planning this day. Teachers should check with their school-based PD Rep about school-wide events. Some teachers will also choose a different event.
Friday Feb 16: Quad District Day: The South Island Locals are planning a hybrid PD event on this day. Come support your union planning committee. You may also choose a different conference.
Monday April 22: School Based Day: Schools are more actively involved in planning this day. Teachers should check with their school-based PD Rep about school-wide events. Some teachers will also choose a different event.
Friday May 17 – School Based Day. If your school participated in an August Day, this will be your lieu day. Otherwise, teachers can choose their own event.